Friday, October 06, 2006

First Week of School


As most of you know, we decided to home school Lydia. This week completed the first three days for her. We were able to rent a small flat and we spent a couple of days setting it up. Lydia started school on Tuesday. Our schedule for her is about two hours per day, five days a week. Three days out of the week we have an Egyptian friend who is coming to teach her Arabic for a half an hour. After the first day, she came home pretty tired and while she was watching cartoons she just started crying and told me she can't write her name very well. Poor thing. I think we have a little perfectionist on our hands. The second day, Jill said they were coming home and Lydia said, "Mommy my head hurts!" Jill is doing a great job and after three days Lydia is enjoying it.



Setting up the classroom


Lydia's first day


Jill and Lydia walk about 10 minutes every morning to school. Lydia was a little nervous the first day. :)


Mommy and Lydia at school!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do many people home school in the area? If they do is it standard practice to do it away from your home.

Lynette has home schooled her boys and I appreciate all the work she does to educate our grandchildren.

I'm sure your parents appreciate it also for Lydia

Calvin and Jill said...

There is one other American couple that we have heard about that is home schooling. We have never been able to meet them. Egyptians have never heard of this concept but when we share with them about it they are very impressed and like it. We chose to home school away from home because our flat is fairly small and we knew we would get interupted with visitors.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lydia,
I am so proud of you! You are in kindergarden. Remember when you came to visit my school? Now you have your school and I can visit you at your school someday. You have the best teacher ever!
We love you, Grandma & Grandpa

Josh and Brin said...

Looking at your classroom you can tell you are a teacher. What does it say about me that all I have is a rather dull corner on the portico?! At least that is what I have planned who knows what I will actually get. Thanks for sharing the pictures.